Becoming a Volunteer Coach
Our programmes run through enthusiastic, high achieving university students and recent graduates who have an interest in education and social equality volunteering their time to coach a school pupil.
As a coach, you will receive professional-level coaching training in order to help you work with your pupil.
Current coaches come from all subject disciplines including from the following institutions:
Thank you for considering making an application! Aside from the fantastic effect your contribution will have on the young person you work with. We believe being a coach has numerous benefits for you individually:
- Experience working first-hand in education: you will gain first-hand insight of what works in changing behaviours in a disadvantaged school improving your prospects of entering into social graduate schemes Teach First and Frontline.
- Employability skills: our coaches have gone on to say they have developed transferrable workplace skills outside of academia in communication, relationship building and leadership.
- Coaching skills: increasingly, leading graduate employers such as PWC and the BBC recognise the influence coaching has in executive and management level so you are beginning that journey early.
- Community: we run regular socials and you are joining a cohort of like-minded students/graduates passionate about changing education.
Student Leadership Accreditation - NEW!
What? From September 2016, we're teaming up with The Schools, Students and Teachers Network (SSAT) to offer our coaches a formal Student Leadership Accreditation.
Why? We've crafted this award in collaboration with SSAT to officially acknowledge the skills and responsibilities involved in being a CoachBright coach.
The internationally-recognised certificate is a great addition to your CV, formally demonstrating your achievements to employers.
How? Completing the accreditation is entirely optional. It's a slightly more time-intensive route than our normal coaching programme.
- Complete the CoachBright training programme
- Complete your 1:1 coaching sessions
- Lend a hand at two CoachBright events
- Organise your own event, either individually or as a group
- Attend one of CoachBright's careers events
- Submit your leadership portfolio, to be peer reviewed
Got a question about the award? Email email@example.com.
- Time: An hour a week of coaching for six or seven sessions excluding travel (normally we will only match you with a pupil 30 minutes or less from your university). Sessions are dependent on school but normally from 3:30pm onwards.
- Location (London, Exeter, Birmingham): Sessions will be held mainly at the school you are matched with so ability to travel to a school around half an hour or forty minutes from your university.
- Training: available for a 2 part induction prior to the programme that will last half a day each. This will be to cover topics including our methodology, working with young people and safeguarding. The first training session will be part of the assessment process.
- Safeguarding: Pass an enhanced DBS check as you will be working with someone under 18.
What We Look For
We are looking for applicants who have the potential to deliver high quality 1-1 coaching for the pupils we work with. While it is a bonus, we do not expect applicants to have prior experience working with young people.
All applications are assessed on the following competencies: Emotional Intelligence; Communication skills; Humility; Professionalism and Reflection.
How to Apply
If you are interested in becoming a coach, we would love to hear from you! The current stages needed to becoming a coach are:
1 - Fill in online application form (below).
2 - 1st Training session on coaching (assessed).
3 - Selected! 2nd Training session on working with young people.
4 - Await DBS certificate and practise coaching.
5 - Attend Launch Trip of programme at university (3 hours).
6 - Get coaching!
We do select our coaches rigorously based on emotional intelligence and ability to work with children under 18. If you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
If not, please fill in the form below and we will be back in touch!